This programme prepares teachers to provide instruction to primary school age children (7 – 11 years) in the core areas of Language Arts, Mathematics, Science and Social Studies.
A MINIMUM of FIVE (5) CSEC subjects at General Proficiency Grades I, II or III; OR FIVE (5) GCE Ordinary level passes OR the equivalent. These subjects should include:
- English A
- Social Studies or History or Geography
- Science - Integrated Science or Human & Social Biology or Agricultural Science or Pure Science
- One (1) additional subject
Applicants applying to the Division of Teacher Education must submit the following documents below.
- 500 words essay entitled, “Why I would like to become a train teacher” concluding with a teacher education philosophy.
- Certified copies of certificates and awards.
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from professional educators or supervisors if you are a current teacher.
- Police Record.
Applicants are also required to attend an admission interview.
Candidates for Mature Entry
Candidates over the age of 30 years seeking admission into the programme and who do not have the academic qualifications but who have completed at least 5 years of teaching in one or more recognized schools must establish clear evidence of their competence in the field.
Submission of a portfolio which documents competence/accomplishments in the following ways
- Representative sample of work (where applicable) over the three-year period
- A written 500 word account of life history and a vision of their role in education.
- Documentation to substantiate certificates/awards obtained in the informal setting, e.g., on-the-job courses.
- Recommendations from professional educator(s) and person(s) who have supervised him/her in his/her area of competence.
|Year 1 Semester 1||Year 1 Semester 2||Year 1 Summer Semester|
|Registration Fee $430
UWI Exam Fees $300.00 EC
Fee $395 EC|
TED Summer Class $163 EC
|Year 2 Semester 3||Year 2 Semester 4|
|Registration Fee $395
UWI Exam Fees $300.00 EC
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Summer Semester|
|English for Communication I|
Curriculum Issues in Language Arts Education
Foundation in Child Development
Introduction to Social & Cultural
Seminar Series in Technology in Education
|English for Communication II|
Management Instruction and Classroom
Primary Science and Technology Teaching I
Developing Number Concepts and Operation
Planning Teaching and Assessing Social Studies in the Primary
Promoting Reading in the Primary
|Reading and Writing
Across the Curriculum|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Techniques in Classroom Investigation|
Primary Science and Technology Teaching II
Promoting Understanding of key concepts in primary mathematics
Methods of Inquiry and Fieldwork in Social Studies
Promoting Writing in the Primary
|Seminars for Reflecting on
Extended Classroom Practicum